Sunday, October 25, 2009

Home again, home again.... boo.

Our last day. Even as of the morning on Saturday, I was still in a strange state of not really believing that we were actually going to be getting on a plane to go home. Bizarre.

After breakfast, we showered and got packed and then Billy took Jenn and I on a drive around their mountain community. Their house is situated in a valley of a mountain and I would say it took us about 30-40 minutes to get from their place to the nearest "main road" which went to anywhere. Can you say "boondocks"? But the scenery both in getting to and within the community where they live is beautiful and picturesque (rolling, green hills as far as the eye could see). We drove up and down more of those roads that I doubted our little car would make and stood out on cliffs overlooking vast expanses of practically untouched land and mountains. Seriously, beautiful.

We went back to the house to collect our things, say our goodbyes to Liz and Billy and all of the animals (that in itself is a major job!) and then headed off for the airport. Just to give us one last kick in the pants to show us who was boss, our GPS got us totally lost in the city. Lots of backtracking, lots of circles, lots of going the completely wrong direction. Good thing we had anticipated it not cooperating and had left pleeeenty of time to get there... and that Jenn has a much better sense of direction than I do!

At this point, Jenn was officially "done vacationing" but, not so fast, we got one more bonus lesson of Latin life and attitude. The line to check in was paaaaaaaainfully slow and inefficient and non-moving. I could have practically walked home in the time it took us to wait in that line. We were starved so broke our own "no American food" rule and ate at Subway while waiting for our flight. And then, just for a little more fun, we got to go through yet another line to go through security (again) to get to our specific gate. None of the other gates had another security screening, just ours. Yay!

Jenn indulged me in one final 'touristy' picture at the airport, I popped my standard pre-flight Xanax and boarded the plane without a care in the world. So much so that the grip-ey lady sitting next to me (who started griping to me even before I sat down, literally) didn't even bother me. Although she did bother Jenn as they nearly came to fisticuffs when the lady interjected herself into OUR conversation and was insistent that what we were saying was wrong and she was right. Not that we had even asked, mind you! She and Jenn's relationship didn't get any better when Jenn moved into an empty seat that she had her eye on for her husband. I got an earful from her about it but, in my Xanaxed state, I couldn't muster up any more concern than to offer a half-hearted "huh" in response.

We landed at 1 am and made it back to Lancaster around 4. Home sweet home. Or not, as it was cold and raining. Either way, it was a GREAT trip and over too soon. Which only leaves me to wonder.... Where to next??

1 comment:

Tini from Across the Pond said...

I know! How about ENGLAND?! haha