Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Lovin' Lombok

Here I am, the one place I was determined to come to in Asia. When the idea of the trip presented itself back in the fall, I only had two set objectives in mind: 1. spend time with my friend in Korea and 2. spend a week on an Indonesian beach. That was it… and here I am!

I didn’t know much about Indonesian beaches but I did know that I did not want to end up on a super touristy one. So it was worth some of my time last week to do some minor research to find out which one was still the most “pure”. Combine that piece of information with the options of the affordable flights I could get from Kuala Lumpur and I ended up with the island of Lombok. And thus far it seems like a great choice!

Because this was the part of my trip I was determined to do, and the one place I had set out to come to and had my heart set on for months ahead of time, I decided this would be my one big “splurge” in the hotel department. As money goes so much farther here, it was still not a relatively huge amount (by US standards) but, as it turns out, money really DOES go farther here. I figured it would be nice but when the porter walked me into my room, I literally had to fight to keep myself from gasping and/or giggling like a total nerd. It was huge and immaculate and luxurious and had a private terrace with doors that open to the sound of waves crashing. To die for.

I headed pretty immediately to the beach to check it out and it did not disappoint. My visions of my week on an Indonesian beach most definitely included thatched roof huts so walking onto the beach and seeing a whole row of such huts lining the water almost pushed me over the edge. I plunked myself right down and didn’t move a muscle until the sun set. Yep, I’m gonna LOVE it here!



No comments: