Thursday, December 30, 2010

Australian Beaches, Baby!

Miracle of miracles. The weather has turned absolutely gorgeous. With a capital GORGEOUS. It's sunny, warm and breezy; there are blue skies, no humidity and it's hot during the day but cool at night... the exact kind of weather that I would choose if I could only ever have one type of weather ever again.

And, as that huge clock is still ticking down in my head, I knew exactly how I had to spend every possible minute of a sunny, warm day.... at the beach! The one thing I really wanted to do while in Sydney was to spend some whole, entire days on the beach. Seemed like a great way to end my trip, soaking up some rays before heading back to wintery PA.

Wednesday we started off at the most famous beach in Sydney: Bondi. But not before heading downtown to do some bargain shopping at a truly cheap market (definitely pays to know a local) and then over to Chinatown to, you guessed it, get some bubble tea.

We made it to the beach in the early afternoon and I didn't do one more productive thing ALL day. Picture me laying around on a towel reading. All day. That was pretty much it. I did get in the water once for a while but it was fre-fre-freezing so I wasn't able to stay in nearly as long as I normally would. Which was too bad, really, as the water here is crystal clear blue and the waves are some of the best I have ever personally experienced.

Thursday we headed off to Manly Beach. Yes, Manly Beach. Where they have businesses named things like Manly Butchery, Manly Lawn Tennis Club, Manly Grill, Manly Yoga, Manly Jewelry, Manly Dance... needless to say, Sarah and I amused ourselves with this the whole day. Moriah didn't get it and, incredibly to us, she said it had never even occurred to her that it was kind of a funny name. Yeah, hours of entertainment for me and Sarah. Yeah, we're dorks.
In addition to mocking the town name, we also had to squeeze in time for what Moriah told us were the best burgers in town. Lunch at Burger Me... where I ended up getting chicken, go figure. After that, I was chomping at the bit to hit the sand. We did and it was just as divine as anticipated. Moriah had some other things to do (what else could there ever be to do when a beach is involved??) but Sarah and I were determined to stick it out to the bitter end. It was my last full beach day, after all, and I felt compelled to soak up every single second of it possible. We stayed until the sun had set and we were starting to shiver. But of course we weren't too cold to have some ice cream which, as a bonus, gave us more time to sit and stare at the ocean.

It was all I could do to tear myself away. Knowing that I will very soon be trading this warm, lovely, relaxing world for a cold, grey, snowy one is something I just don't want to do. It would almost be easier if I didn't know this world existed. That while I'm sitting home freezing my butt off and stuck inside, the rest of the world is doing the same thing. But to know that I'll be there and yet people here will be sitting on the beach at the same time that I'll most likely be scraping off my car and cursing under my breath, is just wrong. But for the past two days at least I got to join them. To revel in beach life and to soak in as much of it as I could. And it was glorious.

No comments: