Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sun! I Saw Sun!

Yesterday it occurred to me that over the past two weeks, I have only had one day without rain. So I was due. Today I finally got to see what Melbourne is like when seen under brilliant blue, sunny skies. And, as predicted, I now like it even more.

Monique works as an independent contractor and it has worked out very nicely that she has just happened to have off all of the days that we've been here. So, once again, she generously shared her time and Melbourne expertise with us. But today we got outside of the city to see some of the surrounding area, the infamous Australian bush.

We drove about an hour and a half to a little town called Daylesford. Think small town America, but with an Australian twist. Along the way we made stops, the first being at a coffee shop, of course. Then we pulled into what seemed like the middle of nowhere to fill up our water bottles at a natural spring that Monique knew about. I have never had naturally fizzy water before but it was just like seltzer water straight from the spring. Unfortunately, it also had a horribly strong sulfur/saline taste; Monique says it's an "acquired taste"... I say I don't have enough time in Australia to acquire a taste for it. I may also not have enough time in my natural life to acquire it, either.

But the spring water was forgotten as soon as we got to the Chocolate Mill. It is billed as being for 'serious chocoholics' only. No problem there. Their products are all made with only fresh creams and butters and no preservatives whatsoever so they don't sell it anywhere but there as it has such a short shelf life. But it is oh-so-good while it lasts. I had a chili hot chocolate that was made with actual chocolate, all melted and gooey on the bottom of the cup. Sinfully indulgent but so worth it. I mean, I AM on vacation, after all.

Downtown (and I use the word 'downtown' loosely) Daylesford consisted mostly of one main street, lined with old style shops and restaurants and hardware stores and such. It had a small town charm that reminded me a lot of the town where I grew up, so it felt homey and nice to be there. .

We also drove around a bit in the countryside, to a place with natural hot springs, and a couple lake areas, one in which we had a picnic lunch and one in which we saw a peacock just roaming about. We made stops at cute little roadside stands that sell honey and eggs on the honor system. It was nice to get outside of a city and see lots and lots of green... very good for the soul. No kangaroo spottings yet, but will continue to keep an eye out. Monique is an awesome tour guide, but apparently there are some things that even she can't arrange. I remain hopeful.

Oh, and tonight when I saw some Christmas cards at Monique's house, I said "Why on earth are people sending out Christmas cards so early?!". Sarah kindly reminded me, again, that Christmas is only a little more than 2 weeks away. I seem absolutely incapable of wrapping my mind around this concept. Seriously, why will it NOT sink in??

1 comment:

Emmanuelle, Pierre, Martin, Emile... said...

You can't leave Australia without having seen a wild kangaroo. Just in case, is it still possible to change your flights ? ;-)
Enjoy
Emmanuelle & co