Monday, December 27, 2010

Roos, Kaolas and Crocs, Oh My!

Big surprise, it is raining here. A lot. Like in New Zealand, it was gorgeous before I arrived and then, pretty much as soon as I got into the country, the skies opened up and the rain began. Figures.

Yesterday (Boxing Day) was supposed to be beach day. It rained... all day. So we did a whole lot of nothing, just chilling out after the holiday, reading, laundry and so on.

Today was looking like more of the same: non-stop rain. Since I am now down to my official my last week here (yikes!), I have a constant impending sense of a gigantic ticking clock hanging over my head so I didn't want to 'lose' another day. We gave some thought as to what might be a good rainy day activity in Sydney and ended up deciding on... Sydney Wildlife World.

As it hasn't yet worked out for me to see a kangaroo in the wild (go figure), we had to resort to the next best thing. Sarah and I took the bus downtown to Darling Harbor and, after only one short hour waiting in line in the windy rain, made it inside. We saw lots of cool Australian animals: kangaroos, kaola bears, crocodiles, wallabes, wombats and all sorts of other things I don't remember the names of. The kangaroos were feeling pretty lazy (I understand, that's how I feel on rainy days, too) so we didn't get to see them do much actual hopping, although we did get to see one of them spend large amounts of time laying on his back and, um, scratching himself. But the roos seemed positively hyper compared to the kaola bears who, as it turns out, sleep over 20 hours a day. They didn't move a muscle the whole time we were there. We were informed that because their diet is so sparse, they can't waste energy on either physical activity or brain power. Good thing they're cute.
.
After that, we also went to the aquarium, something I wouldn't normally be too interested in but, hey, it was still raining. The most interesting thing for me there was the shark exhibit. They've begun tracking some of the sharks that are in this area and they had a screen where they displayed their comings and goings, many times right in and out of Sydney Harbor. Mental note to self: do not swim in Sydney Harbor.

The rain had stopped by the time we left the aquarium so we walked around the downtown for a bit and found a place to get some dinner before heading back home. So, it wasn't exactly the beach day we had planned but at least we accomplished a few things and even learned a few things in the process. All in all, a salvaged day.

No comments: