Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Crashing in Copenhagen

The Little Mermaid sculpture, from the story
by Hans Christian Andersen 
Four countries in four days. Whew! A whirlwind… and a new record for me. Friday: Spain to Geneva. Saturday: Switzerland. Sunday: Geneva to Brussels. Monday: Brussels to Copenhagen. It wasn’t actually intentional but when the car rental plan fell through, it just worked out that way. It’s remarkable, really, to be in a place where traveling from country to country is equivalent to traveling between states in the US.

Rosenborg Palace
Remarkable, but tiring. It actually wouldn’t have been a big deal (the flights were all between just 1-2 hours) except that the flights Sunday and Monday were both obscenely early and resulted in me getting only 3 hours of sleep each night. Which adds up, as it turns out. By the time I reached Copenhagen Monday morning, I was so tired I could barely see straight. When I arrived at my hotel and was told I couldn’t check in for another 2 hours, I could have cried.

By the time I did make it to my room (the clerk kindly got me in after only 1 hour) I had two choices: suck it up, rally and force myself out and about for the day... or crash. Had it been sunny and beautiful, I could have rallied. I really could have. But it was co-o-old and gre-e-ey and ra-a-ainy so I went with Option B and crashed. Hardcore. There’s a certain guilt that comes for me when I’m in a cool, new place and feel like I’m wasting my precious little time there but I was at a point where it wouldn’t have been even remotely enjoyable to drag my exhausted butt out of the hotel into the cold and wind and rain, especially when a really nice, comfy hotel room with cushy blankets and pillows had my name on it. So I stayed back and recharged and refreshed and it was ni-i-ice. My first (and only) crash day of the trip!

Today it didn’t actually rain much but it was still grey and cold. Not very inspiring when it came to getting out and about but I managed to make it happen. Because it was so exceedingly unpleasant most of the day, I decided it would be a great “indoor” day, so after getting the lay of the land, I made my first stop Rosenborg Castle followed by a very brief foray into the art museum across the street (I usually avoid such things while traveling with all my might so that should tell you just how miserable the weather was!).

Denmark’s royal family is Europe’s oldest monarchy and Copenhagen is dotted with various palaces and castles seemingly everywhere throughout the city. Rosenborg was built as a summer home for the Danish royal family, although I have to admit I don’t quite get why there is a summer home within a half mile of their regular palace. Not much of a getaway, right? Hmm, perhaps I missed something. Either way, I got to see how they lived as well as the crown jewels, with the added bonus of getting to escape the crappy weather outside. But then, miracle of miracles, when I came out there was sun, real sun!

Bjorg's Kafe, mmm
Unfortunately, as much as it pains me to admit it, I am largely ruled by the weather (yes, I am becoming my mother). When it was cold and grey this morning and I was out, all I really wanted to do was go back to my cushy hotel room and curl up under the covers. But the moment I walked out of the castle and saw that it was sunny, I was immediately reinvigorated and energized to keep exploring the city. As simple as that.

And then the sun disappeared. And I got lost. And realized I hadn’t eaten lunch and was starving. And I started to get grumpy again. But then I saw a super charming and very typical Danish café and it called my name. Some hot soup, a yummy sandwich and a couple of beers later and all was well in Copenhagen. As simple as that.

No comments: