Thursday, October 18, 2012

Just a Hop, Skip and a Jump to... Sweden!

Since yesterday turned into such a perfect Copenhagen day, I decided that would be a good note to end on in that country (best not to push my luck, eh?) so today I opted not to spend any more time here and instead to spend the day in… Sweden! It never ceases to amaze me (yes, some of us are more easily amused than others) how simple it is to go from country to country here. Kind of like me taking a trip at home from Lancaster to Philadelphia for the day. But much, much cooler and with way better scenery.

It turns out that you can take a train from the center of Copenhagen, Denmark and within 20 minutes arrive in the city of Malmö, Sweden. So why on earth would I NOT do that? As I’ve said, Copenhagen took a few days to win me over. Malmö did so immediately. Funny that Sweden was a secondary destination on this jaunt to Denmark and yet I ended up liking it even better in some ways.

The moment you walk out of the central train station and across the canal into the city, you’re in the center of the old part of town, which just screams charm. Remarkable how completely and utterly different two towns only 20 minutes apart can be. Yes, I know they’re different countries, but still. The architecture is very old school Sweden and their old town square just makes you want to set up camp immediately and never leave.

As I always do, I spent the day walking, walking and more walking. Seven hours of walking, to be exact (by the end of this trip, I will be shocked if I don’t qualify for the Olympic Liesurely Strolling finals). After a most delightful lunch in the old square (where, I might add, I actually got to, gasp!, take off my jacket and bask in the warm sun while dining) I walked through parks and by castles and down major thoroughfares and through winding, tiny alleys and over cobblestone and around lakes and up hills and over canals and through university campuses and back up to, inevitably, the old town square to cap off my day with a coffee and a Swedish pastry while people watching. But of course.

Malmö wasn’t ALL charm though; at one point I wandered a bit too far south, down into the somewhat dodgy end where it looked like any other old, soulless, non-descript city. Back to old town, pronto! On my way back I came upon a lovely, bustling outdoor market… just as all of the vendors were packing up. But I did wander through a small park and randomly happened upon an albino kangaroo (yes, an albino kangaroo). I don’t have photographic evidence of this so you’ll just have to take my word for it.

After my coffee back in the square, I finally tore myself away (I’m telling you, I wanted to put down stakes) and set off for yet more leisurely strolling through the city while the sun was setting on it. I ended the day by sitting down by the water long after the sun had gone and soaking as much of it in as possible before heading back across the famous Oresund Bridge to Copenhagen.

So even though there were no Swedish meatballs, Swedish fish or trips to Ikea, for my money, it  was a great day spent in Sweden!
 







 

No comments: