Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Moving On

Jane and her mum
Three weeks always sounds like a long time when planning a trip but it never ceases to amaze just how short it really is, particularly when you’re trying to cram so many things into one trip. My four days with Jane flew by and I couldn’t believe it was already time to board another bus today and move on.

I packed up, had a yummy lunch of tortilla española made by her mum, then made the rounds to say goodbye. And of course, despite my protestations, I was sent off with a bagful of food for the journey. God forbid you go 5 ½ hours in Spain without eating! Think I’m joking if you like, but it’s actually quite true. Spain is a nation of grazers that adhere firmly to the “eat less but more frequently” way of life and they take it very seriously. Jane said she couldn’t imagine going more than 3 hours without eating. The world might actually end!

So we said our goodbyes (just for now) and I boarded a bus headed east to Bilbao, where Maite was waiting for me. Maite and I met a few years ago in Lancaster when she came with a group of students. She's spirited and spunky and never seems to stop moving. No doubt my short time here will never be dull.

Another day, another town. More adventures await!

 

No comments: