Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My LAST day in Santiago (insert sobbing sounds here)

Wow. It has actually arrived. My last day in Santiago. When I left the last time after my classes ended it wasn't so tough since I knew I'd be back. But now I'm leaving and I don't know when I'll be back. And it's sad. I've come to really love this city and its people and I've grown very comfortable here.

But I made the most of my last day! I was able to arrange one final lunch with my super-cool classmates (who are just as super-cool as when I last saw them!) and catch up on what's been going on with them these past few weeks. They have all jumped right into teaching, have found places to live and are beginning to build lives here. In a lot of ways, I'm envious of them. But mostly I am really proud of them. They have all made the big leap and, while there are some struggles, they're doing it! We formed such a perfect little group and I'm so happy for them that they will all have each other to help get through it together.

Then Megan and I went to see the Bodies exhibit I mentioned yesterday. Still just as amazing as the first time. And, as a bonus, I learned a lot of anatomical terms in Spanish! I must say, the human body is truly an intricate, wondrous thing. Again, I would encourage any of you who get the chance to go see it. You will never look at yourself the same way again!

I then did a tiny bit of shopping for some gifts and then headed home for my last evening with Edgar y Maria. We spent is as we most often did: sitting around the kitchen table talking and laughing. Maria talked just as fast as always, Edgar gave me the same funny looks as always and I felt just as genuinely happy with them as always. Man, I am going to miss them. I have an open invitation to return "home" to 1952 Polobanda, Santiago anytime, but that won't make flying out any easier tomorrow.

No comments: