Thursday, October 7, 2010

Bring on Amman

No matter how much I travel, it never ceases to amaze me how a 2-hour flight can end up turning into an entire day.

The flight from Istanbul to Amman was two hours, nothing really. But when you leave the hostel at 11 am, walk to the bus stop, wait for the bus, take the bus to the airport, wait for hours at the airport, go through the visa line, go through the immigration line, find the bus you want, take the bus to the city center, take a taxi to your hotel, you don't end up getting in until 8 pm. And that, my friends, is how a 2-hour trip becomes and 9-hour trip.

BUT, we're in Jordan and I'm excited about it! This was one of the places we couldn't get around as a layover so we figured we'd just spend a few days here as long as we had to stop by anyhow. But in researching it a bit in recent days and finding out just how many really amazing things there are to do here, I've already changed my flight and added an extra day here. Woo-hoo!

Oh, and already I have decided that every single Turkish Lira that I spent to mail that box home yesterday (and let me tell you, I spent a LOT of them) has suddenly became absolutely, totally, 100% worth it. I have now compressed every single thing I have with me down enough to be able to fit into the main compartment of my one suitcase. No outer pockets crammed full, no backpack, no little shoulder bag, no dragging a suitcase while also juggling two other bags, just me and one super streamlined suitcase with room to spare. Carrying it today was a pleasure. Well, almost.

P.S. Since we got to our hotel after dark, the only pictures I have from Jordan so far are of a box of three tiny little kittens that are in our hostel. Random, I know. But come on, who doesn't love fuzzy kittens?

No comments: