Tuesday, October 5, 2010

So today I went to Asia for lunch....

An interesting characteristic about Istanbul is that half of it is set in Europe and half is set in Asia. The two are divided by the Bosphorus River. We're staying on the European side so, of course, we had to take the ferry over to Asian side just so we could say we went to another continent for lunch. Such dorks, I know.

There are also a number of smallish islands that are considered part of Istanbul so after lunch (in Asia, need I remind you) we took another ferry to one of those. When you first got off the ferry there were a bunch of cute restaurants and shops but we decided to skip the "touristy" bit and walk out of that area and on our own to explore the rest of the island. So we started walking.... and walking.... and walking.... and after about an hour or so of walking and passing nothing other than houses, we finally figured out that there was nothing else to see on the island. So we started walking back.... and walking back.... and walking back....

And that was pretty much our day. About as low-key as it gets.

Oh! And I bought hot roasted chestnuts (Sarah can't hear about them without getting that Christmas carol stuck in her head). You see them everywhere here and every day I have been saying I was going to buy them... and tonight was the night. I like how each vendor has his own personal style for displaying them: some make lines of them, some make piles, some do pyramids. For no good reason, my immediate preference was the pyramids and I said all along that I would only buy them from someone who had the pyramid scheme going on. Because, really, someone who takes the time to make tiny little pyramids out of hot chestnuts totally deserves my money. After all the build-up, I also had to take my picture with the guy selling them. As I said, total dork.

And lastly, if you look at the picture of the bathroom (please accept my humblest apologies for posting a picture of a toilet), can anyone tell me why, even ONE good reason, why anyone would ever choose the one on the right??

2 comments:

martin eeckhout said...

That is so weird for a bathroom

P.S the kittens are soooo cute

Tini from Across the Pond said...

Maybe because they're too small to reach the one on the left?? hahaha