Thursday, October 21, 2010

I May Have Met My Match...


Today I made it to India. I left Hong Kong on the red-eye last night under threat of a typhoon warning. By the time I arrived at the hotel where Sarah was waiting for me, it was 4 am and I did nothing else other than to fall into bed fully clothed. Let me just say that it was a good thing that it was pitch black at the time and I couldn't see the bed I was falling into; otherwise, I would have attempted to sleep standing up. Seriously. Welcome to India!

I have been to third-world countries before and I have been to dirty countries before, but I have a feeling that India is about to trump them all in so, so many ways. I have a feeling India is going to kick my butt.

We moved locations (when even Sarah, whose tolerance for dirty accomodations is admittedly much higher than mine, says she can't stay in a place another night, you know it's bad) and waited for another friend of mine to show up. I was teaching a Spanish class this summer and it was one of those rare classes where you go home after the first night and think to yourself "I would totally hang out with those people!". It was one of those great blends of people and we had a blast during our classtimes (oh, and I taught them some stuff, too). Anyhow, when I mentioned to them that I wouldn't be teaching the fall class due to my travels, one of the students, Fen, mentioned that she was planning her own trip in the fall and that she would be going to India. I said *I* would be in India. We compared dates and places and it turned out that we were going to be in nearly the same exact places at the same exact times. I mean, really, what are the chances? It was meant to be. And so of course we decided that we would hang out together while here. Awesome.

She showed up around 6 and we decided to go have dinner and try to make a plan for our days together. We took a rickshaw (my first rickshaw!) to a teeny-tiny little hole in the wall (literally) place for dinner. It was outdoor and the place was dirty, and they made everything with their bare hands and we were sitting on a dirt street with people all around us and dogs running around and motorcycles spewing fumes and..... the food was de-lish-ous. Garlic naan and some sort of veggie curry... oh my.

We got back to the place we were staying and spent some time talking to the guys that... well, we're not exactly clear on what they do there. Either way, they were friendly and helpful and gave us some good ideas for things to do in India. We sat around in a circle on the floor and drank chai tea. Welcome to India.

No comments: