Friday, September 10, 2010

Cool City, Great Friend

After scoring my free ticket for getting bumped, I made it to Toronto last night and was met at the airport by one of my oldest and coolest friends, Dan. I love that feeling of expectation you get when you step off a plane and know you're about to walk out the gate and see someone there waiting for you. Especially when it's someone as cool as Dan. We've veen friends since elementary school. He moved up to Toronto about 15 years ago and, while we often go long times without seeing each other or talking, he's definitely one of those people that the minute you see each other, it's as if no time at all has passed. I love that.

We went for dinner to a cool Italian place and then back to his place to chill. It was somewhere right around midnight that I realized I had been up for 39 hours (from six am on Wednesday morning until midnight on Thursday). One minute I was talking and laughing and the next I was in a nearly comatose state. So I slept. A lot. It felt soooo good.

We got up in the morning (okay, it was late morning) and headed into downtown Toronto. I've been here a lot before so we skipped the "touristy" things and just walked around, meandering through the city with no particular destination in mind. Of course that didn't stop me from trying to get just the perfect picture of the CN Tower, which never did happen. Either way, we ended up having a long, liesurely lunch outside on the harborfront, which was lovely.

In the evening we met up with some of Dan's friends that I have met before for dinner and a movie. The dinner was great. The movie, not so much. Let's just say it now ranks in my top 3 all-time worst films. Ever. To drown out the pain of it, we went for coffee and ice cream afterwards. Turns out there's not enough coffee or ice cream to drown out the effects of THAT movie. Ah well, we had fun anyhow and, in the end, that's what it's all about, eh?

Also, this is a real billboard we saw in the square by Eaton Center (if you can't read the small print below the headline, click on the picture to make it bigger). And, yes, of COURSE we are going to call it to find out what it's all about. In the meantime, speculating on it has kept us quite amused for a large portion of the day.

4 comments:

Fen said...

Ok, what movie was it?? I have to know!

Fen said...

Ok, what movie was it?? I have to know!

Katy Shields said...

It was... (don't judge me)... Resident Evil. Horrible, awful. I would like it to be noted for the permanent record that I had NO input on the decision whatsoever. If only there was some way to get those 2 hours of my life back...

Fen said...

My best friend just "made" me see that in 3D! He paid for the tickets or I seriously would not have gone. Horrible movie. No plot. Ugh.

We'll miss you at our dinner tonight!