Sunday, September 12, 2010

Moving on...

It's only Day Four and I have already rethunk the whole packing situation. I have a feeling it is going to continue to evolve every time I have to pack and repack, which is going to be a lot. I came with a big backpack, crammed full. About, oh, a half hour into walking around JFK with it, I realized it was simply not going to last me the three months. So Dan and I went shopping and I found what I think will be the perfect solution (at least until the next time I pack and repack): a bag that has both wheels for when I can easily pull it but also has straps to wear as a backpack for the times when, say, I'm walking down a dirt alley in India. I also left some things behind at Dan's (seriously, like I didn't think carrying 6 books around would get old?). I have a feeling I am going to be ditching a whole lot of things at different places along the way....

Inevitably it was time to head to the airport and say goodbye. Knowing we'll see each other again soon in Lancaster at Christmas made it easier. And now, as I'm sitting at the airport waiting for my next flight, I feel for the first time like I'm really starting my big adventure. I don't think it really sunk in while in Toronto because, really, being in Toronto is pretty much like being in any big city in the US. You don't really have the sense of being in another country. Plus, I've been here so many times in the past that it wasn't about seeing or experiencing new things, it was just about getting to spend some time with one of the coolest people I know. Mission accomplished.
So now, off to London, where I suspect I will really start to get the sense of the grandness of the journey I've embarked on... woo-hoo!

1 comment:

alibethb said...

I can't tell you how glad dad was when he heard that you ditched your backpack. He talked about how you couldn't even get it on your back for at least 1/2 hour the day he dropped you at the train station. You know how he is...he's so sweet.

I didn't think you would have started your blog yet but was pleasantly surprised to read it. You are great writer. I think you should figure out how to turn it into an earning potential. I see big bucks in your future! Enjoy London...miss you!