Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Holland, baby!

Another day of travel. I might as well get used to them, whether I like them or not. I spent the morning piddling and packing (at least this time it was only a small backpack) and then Lutgarde took me to the train station in Namur. She kindly helped me buy my ticket and spent time with me explaining the train system so I would be able to navigate it even without benefit of speaking the language.

We said our goodbyes and I boarded, feeling fully confident in my ability to make the proper connections. Amazing I can be this age and remain so naive. I'll spare you all the details, but three trains became five and 12 minutes of combined wait time between trains became 90. But, alas, I made it to Amsterdam!

I checked in to my hotel, the one I had specifically chosen because it advertised free WiFi in every room, only to be told there is no internet in the hotel. When I told her about what the website said, her reply was "Sometimes they lie in the ads". And that was that. When I opened the door to my room, I actually laughed out loud at how small it was. And when I realized it was colder in my room than outside and went to ask how to adjust the radiator, I was informed that they don't turn the heat on until October. Sigh. But later on the girl at the front desk told me she had forgotten that they were giving out a free half bottle of wine to everyone at check-in and she handed me one. I guess they figure that if you don't have internet to amuse yourself and you're stuck in your room shivering, at least they can help you get drunk! If only the wine hadn't been undrinkable....

No comments: