Saturday, September 18, 2010

To the North!

I have been to Spain about 7 or 8 times and most of the time I return to the same places because I am visiting friends. But this time I have a new friend so I get to go to a new place... yay!

We packed up from Angel's house this morning (uff, I am already SO sick of all my stuff) and went to pick up our rental car. What we imagined might take us an hour, took us nearly 2 1/2 between having to take 3 metros, getting to the rental place, finding the rental place, doing the paperwork and then going to find the car which, for as long of a walk as it was from the rental place to the rental parking lot, should almost have been considered another segment on our round-the-world ticket. The moment we pulled out of the lot, we realized we had forgotten to get a map but by then we'd already been swept up in Madrid traffic and decided it was more trouble than it was worth to try to go back so we winged it with a little city map (not a road map) that Sarah had. Amazingly, we made it out of the city relatively easily and then were on our way to Bilbao!

The drive from Madrid to Bilbao is about 4 hours and, as the rental car is in my name, I planned to do the driving. But about an hour into the trip, last night caught up with me. For some reason I couldn't fall asleep and didn't end up finally doing so until 6 (yes, six) in the morning. And all of a sudden while driving, the fact that I had only had 2 1/2 hours of sleep suddenly came crashing down on me. Apparently, I'm not as young as I used to be. Sarah drove the rest of the way while I passed out cold in the passenger's seat.

This summer in Lancaster, while working with the Spanish kids as I have done for several years, I met Maite, the Spanish leader who came with the group. She and I hit it off immediately and went on to have a great time together during the month while we were, ehem, 'working' with the students. When I told her back then about my upcoming trip to Spain, she said that we MUST come to Bilbao. A lot of people say things like that, like "Oh, if you're ever in my area.... " but I somehow knew that Maite really meant it. And so here we are. She lives in a flat with her son and they are both very relaxed, hospitable "my home is your home" kinds of hosts. We could not have asked for anyone better.

Before even getting to her house, Maite took us to the top of a mountain that overlooks Bilbao so could get a great, panoramic view of the city layout. We then went and dropped off our stuff at her place and left to go meet up with some of the students that had come with her to Lancaster this summer. While walking to the bus stop, we ran into her son on the street and made the proper introductions like normal. Then the two of them were talking in Spanish about the plans for the evening and he asked her where we were going. She replied "We're going to meet the students at the poopy.", and they just casually carried on with the conversation. Sarah and I exchanged quizzical looks and mouthed "Poopy???" to each other. Why were we going to see poopy, we wondered? We didn't want to go to poopy! We asked for clarification and Maite said, "Yes, we're going to the Poopy". Um, more clarification please. Turns out "poopy" is actually the Puppy, a gigantic, flower-covered sculpture in the shape of a dog that stands in front of the Guggenheim Museum and is a favorite meeting point downtown. With the Spanish pronunction of the 'u', it becomes poopy. We were going to let it go and not say anything but it was just too rich to let pass. So we told them how it should be pronounced and they said "No, no, it's poopy". We said "No, it's really not. It's definitely puppy." Them: "No, here it's called the poopy." We then explained the difference and now they are definitely making efforts to prounounce it correctly! Of course it has been a running joke ever since.
.
We met up with the students at the Poopy and it was a grand reunion. It's always so cool when you meet someone back home but then get to go and see them in their own country, on their own turf, so to speak. There were lots of Spanish kisses and American hugs. It was so kind of them all to come out to see me!

After that we walked and walked through the city, through the old parts and the new parts, and along the river. It's a beautiful city (particularly at night) and I was really happy to get to see a place in Spain that I haven't seen before. Then in true Spanish style, we went to a pub for a copa (drink), and then on to another place for a late dinner around 10:30 pm. Maite knew of a cool little family-run place where they make Moroccan pinchos (kebabs) with lamb. De-lish. Plus, the three of us ate for like $16 USD total... which included the food AND a round of wine. Amazing.

I love the late night culture here. And that 3 glasses of wine cost the equivalent of $6 USD, even though it would cost about 4 times that in the US (I STILL can't get over that one). And that when everyone is standing outside drinking their copas, despite the fact that there is ample room for everyone to spread out, everyone instead stands in one big, massive huddle as the term "personal space" is not in the Spanish dictionary. I dig that dogs are allowed in bars here. And that everyone eats off the same plate and uses their fingers. And I love the way they use the language here. And all sorts of other things that make me smile broadly to myself every time I see them. I heart Espana.

3 comments:

alibethb said...

Your post while you were in Madrid brought back a lot of great memories. I wanted to warn you that there are supposedly a lot of pick pockets in the Plaza Mayor in Madrid so BEWARE! Not that I am speaking from experience. :)

I am not going to tell you about the glorious weather that we have been having here. All I will say is that you would be jealous. Everyone at my house misses you and can't wait to hear of your next adventure. Love you.

alibethb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

i want to drink wine at the poopy with you!

-doug